Trinity House Lighthouse, Gibraltar
Europa Point Trinity Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1841 at the southernmost point of Gibraltar, the gateway separating the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. Europa Point Lighthouse was first lit in 1841 and initially a fixed light was exhibited by a single wick oil lamp. Extensive structural alterations were carried out from 1954 to 1956 and the optical apparatus modernised by the introduction of an electrically operated lighting system. A revolving lens system of much greater power was installed for the main light. Europa Point Lighthouse is a faboulous toursitic attraction in its own right and an outstanding viewpoint for the Atlantic, Mediteranian, Atlas Mountains of North Africa and the Southern Edge of the Rock of Gibraltar. Visit Gibraltar.
Gibraltar Epic Route © Monika Newbound