The Gibraltar Parliament House, Gibraltar
The Gibraltar Parliament is the heart of democracy in Gibraltar and the rock foundation of the sovereignty of ‘Gibraltarians’ in the widest sense, not only the indigenous, but British inhabitants are also enfranchised.
The building which houses the Parliament was erected by public subscription in 1817 by the Exchange Committee. This was the first prominent representative body of the civilian population pursuing civil rights in a predominantly fortress environment and it also became the forum of petitions to the Governor. It later became the Exchange and Commercial Library. In 1950, the Legislative Council took up residence in the building where it remained until its merger with the City Council in 1969, to become the House of Assembly established by the Gibraltar Constitution Order 1969.