The Convent, Governors Residence
The Convent has been the official residence of the Governor of Gibraltar since 1728. It was originally a convent of Franciscan friars, hence its name, and was completed in 1531. The Convent has been the official residence of the Governor of Gibraltar since 1728. It was originally a convent of Franciscan friars, hence its name, and was built in 1531, and heavily rebuilt during the 18th and 19th centuries. The dining room at the Convent has the most extensive display of heraldry in the Commonwealth of Nations. The Convent. The Franciscan Friary was founded around 1480, earlier than the Discovery of America. When the friars left Gibraltar in 1704, use of the building was transferred to Gibraltar’s Governor and it subsequently became the Governor’s residence. The Convent’s red brick facade and marble portico date from 1863.
Governor of Gibraltar
The Governor of Gibraltar is the representative of the British monarch in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar. The governor is appointed by the monarch on the advice of the British Government. The role of the governor is to act as the de facto head of state. They are responsible for formally appointing the Chief Minister of Gibraltar, along with other members of the Government of Gibraltar after a general election. The governor serves as commander-in-chief of Gibraltar’s military forces and has sole responsibility for defence and security.