Petach Tikva Market, Petah Tiqwa, Central District, Israel
Petach Tikva means “opening of hope”, and was one of modern Israel’s first agricultural settlements at the beginning of the Zionist movement.
Founded in 1878, . The early settlers drained the swamps in the area and planted orange groves in their place. For decades, it was a major exporter of Jaffa oranges. More recently, the orange groves have been mostly replaced by apartment buildings and industry, as the city grew into Israel’s fifth largest city, and its second largest industrial concentration after Haifa.
For those into early Zionist history, a number of the old buildings have been preserved, though they can be hard to find, and the signs describing them are only in Hebrew.
Visit Israel. Epic Israel Adventure route © Monika & Simon Newbound. All rights reserved 2017