Application for Auto Import Spain

  • ‘Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico’ in the capital of the province in which you are resident is where you can facilitate the import tax of your car to Spain. The nearestJefatura Provincial de Tráfico to Gibraltar  is:
  • Av Príncipe de Asturias, s/n,
    11300, La Línea de la Concepción,
  • Legally, you can drive a foreign registered car in Spain for up to six months in any one year.
  • If you keep you non Spanish car in Spain longer than six months officially you should have it tested and re-registered as a Spanish car.
  • If you are driving in Spain after the official six month period with out registering your car as Spanish you may invalidate your insurance.
  • ´Inspeccion Técnica de Vehículos´or ITV,  is the equivalent of the British MOT and can be undertaken by any official Spanish authorised garage.
  • If you are a resident in Spain and thinking of importing a car into Spain that you have paid tax on in another European country, you should be able to do so free of VAT.
  • If you have owned your car for more than 6 months then you should also be exempt from paying municipal registration tax. If, you bought a vehicle tax-free in another EU country, you have to pay the VAT, usually 18%, when importing a car into Spain.
  • A Customs certificate is issued to confirm that the vehicle is either free of VAT or that the tax has been paid. For cars bought tax free in other EU countries, as well as the VAT, you pay the municipal registration tax, which can vary from 6 – 12%. Cars bought outside of the EU are liable to a further 10%t import tax.
  • All of these taxes are based on the original price of the car, but are gradually scaled down so that, after a car is 10 years old, tax will be calculated on only 20% of its current value.
  • ‘Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico’ in the capital of the province in which you are resident is where you can facilitate the import tax of your car to Spain. The paper work for the car can not be sent in by post but must be presented at the office. See Map Marker forJefatura Provincial de Tráfico, la Linea Office.
  • If you purchase a new or used car from a Spanish dealership they will register it for you as part of the deal. The registration certificate is called the ‘Permíso de Circulación’, and it is proof of the transfer of ownership. If you buy a second-hand car from a private individual, though, you will need to apply to register the car yourself within 10 days of its purchase.Since the 1996 agreement on mutual recognition of driving licences within the EU, anyone from another EU country can drive in Spain with their original, home-country licence for as long as it is valid, with no obligation to take out a Spanish licence.

Rate us and Write a Review

Your Rating for this listing


Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long

Your request has been submitted successfully.

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!