Application for Auto Import Gibraltar
Special Thank You toHMC Francis Rodriguez.
Senior Customs Officer (Ag) Collection,
Gibraltar Entry Processing Unit
Procedure for Importing your Vehicle into Gibraltar. Import duty is payable upon the permanent importation of a second-hand vehicle and the rate of duty is dependent on the Engine capacity.
- Furthermore, the permanent importation of a motor vehicle can only be undertaken by a person who has or will have Permanent Residency in Gibraltar. Satisfactory evidence to this effect must be presented to H.M. Customs.
- On importation, the vehicle must be declared at the entry point and it will be examined by Customs. The importer would be required to give an undertaking in writing to pay duty on the next work day to Customs. An appropriate form for this purpose is available at all Customs entry points to Gibraltar.
- He/she will then be required to present the vehicle to Customs at the Entry Processing Unit, at British Lines Road where the vehicle will be valued, after having arranged for an appointment, by calling either 200 46724 or 200 43915 during normal working hours on the next working day following the importation. This assessment will be based on the Glass Guide UK model database system of valuating vehicles. Other factors will be taken into consideration, such as if the vehicle is RHD, mileage or general condition, nevertheless the starting value is based on the Glass guide model and year value figures. In addition, the Vehicle’s Certificate of Registration drawn up in his/her name or in default a notarised Bill of Sale signed by the selling and buying parties to the transaction would need to be presented. The vehicle valuation must necessarily be undertaken by the Customs Authorities and not by a private garage.
- The Officer in attendance will complete the Customs Declaration form in his/her presence and he/she would only be required to sign this. Upon payment of the required import duty at this same office (in Sterling by cash, local cheque or card), the importer would then be issued with a letter for the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Department, Eastern Beach Road ( in which the Gibraltar Registration number will be stated.
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Department
HM Government of Gibraltar
Eastern Beach Road
[email protected] | [email protected]
- This letter must be delivered to the Licensing Authority who will allocate a date and time for the vehicle to be tested for roadworthiness. The Gibraltar number plates can be obtained from most motor vehicle retailers and these must be placed on the vehicle the day before the motor vehicle test.Upon permanent importation, the import duty on the assessed/invoiced value of the vehicle would be dependent on the cylinder capacity of the engine of the vehicle and the applicable rates are as follows:
- Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 1000cc but not exceeding 1500cc- 25% (of the assessed/invoiced value);
- Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 1500cc but not exceeding 2000cc- 30% (of the assessed/invoiced value);
- Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 2000cc- 35% (of the assessed/invoiced value)
Motorists Importation Information Gibraltar Continued
* A visitor may import his car without payment of duty provided: he is not a resident; he intends only to stay temporarily in Gibraltar; it is being imported for his own use or that of some other entitled visitor; and he will take it with him when he leaves.
* Drivers of vehicles entering Gibraltar must be in possession of a green card valid for any EU country, or UK Certificate of Motor Insurance; or Certificate of Motor Insurance issued in accordance with Gibraltar law (no motor insurance facilities are available at Entry points). Current registration documents and driving licences are also a requirement.
* Motor Home Caravans are a restricted import and do require an Import Licence issued by the Collector of Customs prior importation, whereas the importation of tow caravans is strictly prohibited.